Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Paying a fee to carry a credit card


We are conditioned to accept that fees are bad.  This opinion becomes even more relevant when it pertains to paying a fee just to have a certain type of credit card.  There are plenty of credit card companies vying for our attention so why would one ever pay a fee for the privilege of having a particular card in their wallet?  Sadly, many don’t realize the full potential of the card and how its benefits can play into their travel plans.  The majority of the cards I carry are fee based.  The lowest fee for a card in my arsenal is $69 and the highest $450.  Yes, $450 (a separate post will explain the logic behind that acquisition).  Generally, most fees average around $95, carry 15 cards and that adds up real quick. If I do end up a paying a fee for a card I most likely never pay to retain more than two. When the annual fee comes due the simple solution is cut up the card slated for renewal then wait for the next round of applications for new cards to start the cycle all over again.  Several banks waive the fee for the first year so you can experience their card benefits without worry.   I have a credit card up for renewal in a few weeks.  I know the bank will not negotiate on the renewal fee (some cards reduce the fee or eliminate it altogether if you ask) so I must decide whether or not this card is worth the $95 annual renewal for what I receive and how I leverage those benefits to suit my upcoming travel.  The card is Chase Ink Bold,  it's a charge card not a credit card, meaning that the balance must be paid in full each month.  This is not an issue because as I have written before, this hobby is not recommended for anyone who carries a credit card balance month to month.    
The Ink Bold is a business card and I use it to pay my landline, cell and cable bill every month because I receive 5x the amount of points for each of those bills.  There are other benefits such as all office supply store purchases are given 5X your total spend, 2x for all fuel and hotel purchases, and no foreign transactions fees.  Given that the three bills mentioned above run me close to $400 per month, I rack up a cool 24K ultimate rewards points a year for paying bills I have to pay anyway.  Those 24K points translate into either 1 night  in a top tier Hyatt  (with 2K left over)or several nights in lower tiered Hyatts.  Currently, 1 night at the Park Hyatt Maldives runs $1040.  So for an investment of $95 I can acquire this expensive out of reach room for 10% of its full price.  Anytime a card comes up for renewal I think about my upcoming travel plans and how the benefits of the card will suits my needs.  I never promised that my travel techniques would be fee free, only that seemingly out of reach travel was possible for those willing to invest a little time.       

No comments:

Post a Comment