Thursday, April 25, 2013

The Agony of Shots



I hate needles.  I’ve spent the majority of my life avoiding needles, then I decided to go to Thailand.  The thought of traveling there was exotic and challenging because of course I had no intention of paying significant amounts of money for airfare or hotels.  I was energized by the planning process, secretly gloating about my ability to mastermind such a trip with so little out of pocket expense.  All that euphoria came crashing down when I found out I needed 8 shots.  I started to sweat and then seriously considered booking another trip to Europe.  Eight shots in a couple months time; I don’t think I’ve had 8 shots in the last 10 years.  I never get a flu shot, I don’t give blood and now I have no choice but to sit for 8 shots.  I first had to read a lot because many primary care doctors don’t know what you need or know how these shots interact with various medicines etc., you have to guide them thru it. I seriously believe my primary was glad to pawn me off on the travel doctor after the basic shots were administered because I constantly made her look things up.  I started with a tetanus booster.  Then it was determined I should have Hep A & B both of which are administered as part of a series over the course of several months.  Before  Hep A & B were administered the doc drew blood (another needle) to see if I already had immunities to hepatitis, I didn’t.  Then another trip to the primary for the actual  Hep A & B immunization. Incidentally, B hurts more than A.  After that visit I returned in 30 days for the 2nd of 3 in the series for Hep B.  At that visit I was given a prescription for Malaria pills, an antibiotic and something to prevent a urinary infection that can be brought on by the antibiotic.  I was also given some sound advice for taking the Malaria pill that went something like this…."if you throw up within an hour of taking the malaria drug you must take another pill, if you throw up after an hour a second pill is not needed."  As much as I hate needles, I hate throwing up more but it looks like there wasn’t an option for "if" I throw up it was more like "when" I throw up; wonderful.  I start taking those pills a few days before departure and continue throughout the trip until 7 days after my return.  My primary doctor also gave me orders for the yellow fever  and thyphoid shots but they had to be administered by an office authorized by the CDC for distribution of the drugs. You must call ahead to see if they have them in stock.  Yesterday, I had my yellow fever shot and oh my god, that shot hurt.  Fortunately, all typhoid vaccines were recalled across the country as they proved ineffective so I escaped the needle there.  Instead an oral version of the drug was provided but I have not taken it yet.  After my return from Thailand I go back to the primary doctor for the last Hep A& B series shots and I’ll be all done.   This is really the only reason I will head over to South Africa within a year of returning from Thailand so I can take advantage of all these inoculations.  I also, should add that the specialty shots are not covered by insurance and the yellow fever vaccine was $188.  At least I can recoup that cost thru my flexible spending account.  So yes, I’m pretty much over this whole Thailand trip, a week at a local beach sounds more restful at this point.           

1 comment:

  1. glad that's over with. now you just have to ENJOY your trip!

    ReplyDelete