Monday, April 8, 2013

What is Sundry by Sage?



Today we take a side path away from travel talk, as I mention in my welcome, this blog will be multi dimensional, just like me,  I always have several “projects” going on at any given time so if you only tuned in for the travel tips take a breather today.
Some people flip houses, I unfortunately I don’t have the capital to get started as a house flipper but the idea does intrigue me.   I took the house flipping concept and applied it to something more manageable.  Furniture flipping.  With rage of shabby chic, urban and cottage trends along with the repurpose movement a vein of cash flow exists for those who believe the "devil is in the details."  Looking for a way to fill my time between January and March I came across some furniture items from various means and repurposed them for resale.  Other than the sweat equity, very little monetary investment was required but the profit margins are tremendous.  I just finished my first winter months doing several pieces some of which I will feature on the Sundries by Sage section of the blog, others I will eventually post for sale.  I’ll sell mainly thru craigslist and direct interested buyers back to the blog via my craigslist postings, which serves a twofold purpose, showcasing my items and increasing the blog traffic.  Why January-March?  Its usually the time of year when I am most bored. With warmer weather arriving, I have yard and garden projects and little time for sanding painting, etc.   

The pieces below were repurposed by me, I could kick myself for not taking before photos as these pieces were a real mess when first acquired.  The table is eight feet long and solid pine.  I sanded the top and stained it using a solution of vinegar and steel wool for a driftwood grey color, then I whitewashed the bottom and put numerous coats of paste wax to bring it to a shiny sheen.  The chairs were part of another dining room set I purchased separately on craigslist. I striped them down, primed, spray painted fern green, then topped with a gloss poly.  I reupholstered the chairs
using a painting tarp for the material (sturdy, yet inexpensive).  In this photo only 3 of the chairs were completed, the remaining 3 have since been delivered.  


Below is a super simple project; rebar, picture wire, and hooks.



So thats what you can look forward too on the Sundries by Sage portion of the blog.  I hope you'll check back frequently to see what I've stumbled upon and I promise to start taking before pics as it presents a much more dramatic result.


No comments:

Post a Comment