Saturday, May 6, 2017

An Unintended Vacation

I earn a lot of points and several free night stays annually.  I work full time, care for an elderly parent and navigate between two young adult children.  Sometimes its difficult to fit in trips between the many things I have going on.  I recently found out I had another Fairmont free night to use (see details of previous free night usage here).  I wasn't aware I had this free night and now I must use it before September 8, 2017.  When I called to check on another Fairmont reservation I was reminded this free night existed and was also informed of a perk that if I pay for two nights I have the third night free at any Fairmont property.  In addition, I have a Hyatt free category 1-4 hotel night that must be utilized by August 23.  I know, nice problem to have.

I have an upcoming extensive trip to Africa booked for January, 2018. I wasn't planning on taking any long trips before then but now it looks as though I'm planning a week long get away before August 23rd to utilize these "forgotten" rewards.  My first thought took me to the Fairmont website to see where all their properties were located.  I easily narrowed the list down to 5 taking into account I did not want to travel longer than 6 hours to reach my destination.  The list included Canada, Barbados, United States and Spain.  I realize I listed four destinations as two are located in the United States.  I have a daughter with a birthday in August and she has become quite used to a birthday get away.  I presented her the list and she narrowed it to Barcelona, San Diego and Barbados. So I am currently pricing where I can receive the most value for my money.  At this writing it looks to be San Diego.  Future posts will explain my decision making process.  Barcelona will remain the runner up destination and Barbados will be dropped from consideration.

To recap, I have potentially 5 nights available to me for the price of 2 - I can't let that deal slip away. I have options for flights that I am considering but because of the Bank of America Alaska Airlines Visa Signature card deal just announced, the flight to San Diego just got more attractive.  Stay tuned.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment