Thursday, May 4, 2017

Credit Card Annual Fees

Yes, I pay annual fees on some of my credit card.  Meaning this points collecting hobby is not totally free.  However, if you are serious about travel and understand the benefits of the cards you carry and how to maximize those benefits you learn to look at fees in an entirely different way.

Yesterday, I received notice from Mint, my personal finance, money manager app indicating I was charged an $89 credit card fee for my Barclays Aviator Advantage MasterCard.  It was an expected annual fee however, just because it is anticipated does not mean that it can't be negotiated or ultimately waved. I simply called the customer service number printed on the back of my card and asked if they would consider waving their annual fee.  I knew ahead of time how long I had the card
(April, 2012)  and the amount I had charged on it in the previous year.  This information helped to present my case for having the fee waived or negotiated. I originally applied for the card when it was a Barclays US Airways card, then when US Airways and American Airlines merged it was automatically switched to the Aviator Mastercard.  The fee attached to this card is $89 and I have yet to pay it, even once.

Today's call resulted not only in having the entire fee waived, but I was provided an additional spend bonus.  If I put $1000 of new charges on the card before August 1st I  will earn 5,000 American Advantage miles as a bonus.  That's a great deal.  I'll simply make a note to use this card until I earn the bonus and I'll then tuck it away until another offer comes along.  This card also comes in a fee free version but you lose the majority of the benefits that make the card attractive.

The benefits on my Aviator Red card include....
-Fee free 1st bag check for up to 4 passengers travelling with me - potential saving of $25 per passenger per domestic flights, international flights save more.

-priority boarding

-10% of redeemed miles returned to account up to 10K - this is why I really like keeping the card.  If   I book an award for 40K points I'l receive a 4K kickback in points.

While these are great benefits I wouldn't necessarily pay $89 for them but once again I have another twelve months fee free to enjoy the card for the price of a 5 minute telephone call.


      

No comments:

Post a Comment