Sunday, July 7, 2013

The Year of the Devaluation

2013 will certainly go on the records books as the year of the devaluation.  Every company is jumping on board with this trend to devalue their loyalty points.  The latest is Hertz.  I am a Gold Plus Rewards Hertz member and have enough reward points for 2 free days of rentals, trouble is that will change come October when the points needed for a free day rental will increase by 10-15%.  Hertz sent notice out to me on July 2nd announcing the program change.  I have to give them credit for letting their loyalty program members know ahead of time because many companies try to hide their devaluations and one does not find out until they try to book an award.  I'm not happy about it but I planned to use my reward points prior to the devaluation anyway.
Devaluations come as part of this travel points hobby,  thats why everyone warns not to hoard points, earn them and use them if you want the most value.  The devaluations just make the hunt all the more challenging.  The thirst for inexpensive travel wont die just the means of acquiring ways to achieve it.



No comments:

Post a Comment