Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Working Hyatt Experiment Result

In my post detailed here I write about trying to work two Hyatt promotions to my advantage.  One promotion was ending on June 30 the other beginning on July 1.  The promotion ending June 30 was a buying points with bonus special and the promotion beginning July 1 was a spend promo with 5K points bonus for spending $3K in 3 months.  It wasn't the holy grail of trying to work the system to my advantage, but it still FAILED.
However, I do understand why it failed.  I needed to buy points to top off my Hyatt Gold Points rewards account so I could reduce my spend for my upcoming trip to West Hollywood.  I waited until the last day at the last minute 11:55PM, June 30 to buy the points hoping the charge would appear as being processed July 1 so the purchase would count toward my $3K, 3 month spend.  In checking my Hyatt credit card this morning online I saw the $120 charge was applied on June 30, it was then I realized my mistake.  I live on the East coast; had I made the purchase at 12:01AM July 1 it still would have been only 9:01PM June 30 on the West coast and I could have taken advantage of both promotions.  Anyway, it really wasn't a loss,  I purchased the points, got the bonus, got an additional bonus for using my Hyatt card and the cost of my stay at the Hyatt Andaz West Hollywood dropped dropped to a cash outlay of $120 overall, a pretty exceptional price for a property that runs upwards of $285 per night.        

No comments:

Post a Comment