Sunday, June 30, 2013

Napa 2012

I'm still playing with the construction of this site.  Having said that you'll notice the recent addition of a Trip Reports header, I plan to post  comment and pics from my trips and link to those pages. This is my attempt to do just that...

In September 2012, I made my first trip to Napa.  I flew to Sacramento with a friend and met another at the airport there  We rented a car and drove to the Westin Verasa in Napa.  It was a paid stay.  The room was ok,  but it faced the main road, although set back from it somewhat.  It was also directly across from the starting point of the Napa Wine train.  Things like early morning landscape maintenance with mowers and blowers did not make for a restful first night.  On our second day  of a 5 day stay after an afternoon of exploring and tastings we returned to the room to freshen for dinner.  One member of the group comes out of the bathroom holding a pair of black undies coyly asking "girls, which one of you left this behind?"  I'm like, those aren't mine, my other friend said she was wearing the only black ones she brought and the definitely did not belong to the person holding them.  Of course, when she realized we weren't joking and that the panties in question did not belong to any of the room occupants they hit the ground faster than a speeding bullet.  A quick call to the front desk was made and someone from housekeeping came wearing rubber gloves to retrieve them.  This of course made for one heck of a alcohol fueled dinner conversation.  All kinds of scenarios were contrived in the hows and whys those panties made their way to our bathroom floor.  I do need to add that the first night of our stay we had to call engineering to fix a broken bedside lamp so their access to our room fell into the mix of stories we imagined.

We all returned from dinner and fell into bed exhausted, at 5 am the next morning a dumpster being slammed to the concrete from across the street awakened me and I sleep with earplugs!!!  As I laid there waves of anger came over me and I finally couldn't take it any more. I marched down to the front desk in my pajamas and the poor night clerk got the full force of my rant from grass cutting, to dumpsters slamming to foreign black panties appearing in our room.  I told him I was on my way to the business center to try and find another hotel even though this was Napa high season because I had had enough antics from the likes of this hotel.  The desk clerk was sympathetic and apologetic and asked me to kindly wait as he disappeared behind the wall leading to what I assumed were offices, when he returned he asked if the bell hops could move us all to a two bedroom suite on the back side of the property where it would be much quieter and provide us with complimentary breakfast made to order for the remainder of our stay.  I accepted the offer and arrangements were made for the move once the remaining members of my party awoke.  The remainder of our stay was much quieter and less eventful but we all felt like everyone now knew of our underwear misfortune as we could feel the mumbling and finger pointing as we walked thru the lobby or enjoyed our breakfast. September in Napa is high season but it is absolutely gorgeous and worth the trip if you can secure  accommodations.  I sincerely doubt I would have found a replacement property when I stormed the front desk that morning as it took sheer luck in acquiring the reservation to begin with almost 10 month earlier.  

This first visit to Napa was capped by a meal at the world renowned Thomas Keller restaurant The French Laundry. This 3 hour dining experience captivated all my senses.  This is the way dining should be.  The setting is incredible the 2 story stone building once served as a saloon, brothel and a french steam laundry before being purchased as a restaurant.  Across the street are the gardens where many of the ingredients for each nightly menu is inspired.  It truly was an emotional experience. Dining here comes at a price, but the splurge will long be remembered.

After incredible scenery, fantastic wines, phenomenal meals there was only one thing left to do, spend an afternoon in Calistoga for the medicinal hot springs and mud baths!   These mineral rich volcanic waters were just the ticket to a total Napa experience.

In the end it was a lovely stay.  Upon my return I took the time to write the General Manager of the Westin and explain my disappointment with his property and listed valid reason for my continued loyalty to Hyatt over the Westin brand.  I heard from him a few days later and was surprised to learn he invited me to return as his guest to the same 2 bedroom suite for two nights completely free.  I will be heading back to Napa this September as I did take him up on his offer.  The two bedroom suite rate for the period I will be there is $751, per night.  So his $1500 gesture was not going to go unused.  Given that this blog was not started until a few months ago this trip report will seems incomplete photo-wise.  Going forward my photographers will take into account things I feel my readers will find useful.  I will supplement these photo with new photos after my September trip.

Menu from the night I dined at the French Laundry

These wines were brought into the mainstream when Ronald Reagan asked to have them served at a state dinner.


Barrels of wine from the Sterling Vineyard

Nothing quite caps the day as a glass of bubbly overlooking the valley from the patio.  

      

No comments:

Post a Comment