Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Daily Getaway Time

For us travel points groupies June means Daily Getaways.  Every year in the May/June time frame Daily Getaways are revealed for about 4 weeks.  Daily Getaways are offered in conjunction with the US Travel Association and advertising support from American Express. At a pre-selected time the offer goes "live" and folks try for one of the deals over the internet.

If you use an American Express card to pay for your purchase you receive an extra 10% off  the already discounted price, the catch is you are competing with an unknown quantity of travel junkies trying for the same very limited number of packages.  As this promotion gains more and more followers actually acquiring the daily offer is a feat within itself.  I have scored some of these deals in the past.


As it stands right now nothing really strikes my interest so I have yet to "play" this time around.  In the past, I have gotten significantly reduced stays at Marriott and Hyatt properties from either the purchase of a gift card or purchasing points to top off my account. The deals posted for the current week are previewed 1 week prior to their being offered.  This allows you enough time to think through various use scenarios to better suit your own needs.  Some of the offerings on the surface may not intrigue you but if you peel back the layers and see how perhaps purchasing product X can get you something better with product Y that is where the real deal manifests itself.  For example, two years ago  I purchased Wyndham points, not because I planned on staying at any Wyndham properties (Howard Johnson, Ramada, Days Inn) but because I wanted a Southwest Companion Pass and needed a way to cheaply and quickly acquire the remaining points to reach  the 110,000 to qualify. Wyndham points qualify toward the Southwest Companion pass, so I signed up for the Wyndham rewards program immediately and plotted my strategy for winning the Daily Getaway deal of the Day.  The Wyndham points being offered at the time were broken out into points categories I only needed the minimum to meet my Southwest requirement so I purchased 16,000 Wyndham points for $55.  Those Wyndham points converted to 4,800 Southwest points and that was more than enough to qualify me for the companion pass.  Fortunately, many folks trying for the deal of the day were more focused on the larger points being offered at the same time.  With a little effort and crossed fingers my attempt to purchase one of the smaller deals offered that given day was a success.  I still believe I have about 600 Wyndham points in the account that eventually will be of use but for now I'm happy to have them remain there.  So while I wanted to introduce you to the fact that this promotion exists, remember not to turn your nose up at something to quickly as it may be just the avenue you need to get to your desired destination.

No comments:

Post a Comment