Saturday, June 29, 2013

Diamonds ARE a girls best friend...

Actually I am talking about, Hyatt Diamond status.  You are all getting a taste of  how using your good credit can help you realize the dream of travelling the world, but what if you could up the ante just a bit more?  I fall into the category of "get me to my destination and have a decent place for me to sleep and I'm happy" but others need their status fix.  We all have experienced the unexpected thrill of a hotel room upgrade or a free drink coupon, but what if you could have the red carpet rolled out for you for an upcoming trip?  My first taste of  the benefits of status came during my stay at the Hyatt Vendome in Paris in April, 2012.
While there I received an upgraded room, in room French wine and fine chocolates, free full breakfast daily for 2 valued at $100 per person (yes, that price quote is correct), free internet and free drink coupons.  I have to say it was special and saved me tons of cash. Status is usually acquired through frequent use of one particular branded hotel, airline or car rental agency.  Status can be purchased, gifted, earned or given away free.  Status is also tiered, the higher up the tier you go the more benefits come your way.  I have status with numerous programs I am associated with but most of the status is mid-tier.  With Hyatt there are are three status tiers Gold, Platinum, Diamond, their benefits are detailed here.  Because I have a Hyatt credit card I automatically have platinum status.  Due to my upcoming Asia trip I consulted my friend and fellow points collector to make sure I wasn't missing out on any amenities I would be entitled too thru my travels, turned out, I was.
Many of the hotel brands status match, meaning if your are part of the highest tier in another hotel like Hilton, Hyatt might match the status for a temporary time.  Why?  Because the hotels see you are a loyal customer and they want your business, if they can pull you away from one favored brand to try their product by giving you a few freebies then they will.  I was not aware that Hyatt offered a Diamond challenge, meaning since I have Hilton Gold status (top tier) I could acquire Hyatt top tier status (Diamond) simply by asking in writing and proving my Hilton status.  Yesterday, I received the confirmation from Hyatt they accepted me into their Diamond program for a 60 day trial.  This is critical because in the next 60 days I have several Hyatt stays booked, and I will be treated as a top tier guest with all amenities coming my way.  That is a huge saving for me since I will no longer need to pay for breakfast or snacks and will enjoy access to club level lounges and room upgrades.  Of course after 60 days the trial goes away and so does all the benefits, but that's the way it goes.  I won't be trying to acquire Diamond status with paid stays anytime soon but when its up for grabs for free I most certainly will put forth the effort.            

No comments:

Post a Comment