Friday, June 28, 2013

Working Hyatt

I'm trying to work Hyatt to my advantage for my upcoming West Hollywood stay.  In my post about the upcoming California trip detailed here I say how my Hyatt stay is not 100% pre-booked since two of the intended three nights reserved are paid for with reward points while the third night is currently reserved as a paid stay at a rate of $265.  When I reserved the room I had no intention of paying $265 for my stay, I just wanted to hold the room in my name.
 I planned to use a combination of Chase Ultimate Reward points and purchased Hyatt points to lower the cost of the cash outlay.  This coupled with a recent promotion I received from Hyatt indicating if I spend $3000 in three months with their card I'll receive a 5K point bonus has me thinking.  The spend for the promotion can't begin until July 1 and I will have until Sept 30 to make my $3000 spend, this won't be an issue since I had previously planned on taking my Hyatt credit card to Thailand anyway, plus two of my Asia trip stays are at Hyatt priorities.  Currently, Hyatt is offering a purchase points bonus for up to 30% .  The offer expires on June 30.  I plan to purchase my points very late on June 30 with my Hyatt card in hopes that the charge won't actually hit until July 1 and will count toward the spend bonus. I'm not sure my plan will work but it is a chance I am willing to take.  Currently I have 7,200 ultimate rewards points, 839 Hyatt points and I need 15K for the last free night of my West Hollywood stay. I was planning on purchasing 5K Hyatt points that will earn me an additional 500 bonus due to the purchase which will put me right below the 15K mark.  I have some bonus points from Chase that are due to post throwing me over the threshold.  My purchase of the 5K points will cost $120, effectively reducing the cost of my stay from $265, saving me $145.  Check back to see the outcome of this experiment, where I'll also reveal the new total spent for the trip.  My goal is to always spend as little as possible without sacrificing comforts.

No comments:

Post a Comment