Sunday, August 18, 2013

3 days in Hua Hin

Let me start by saying I loved Hua Hin.  Previously, I described my stay at the Hyatt Regency Hua Hin posted here which I'm sure contribuited to my likeability of my surroundings but while we didn't partaking in much activity other than beach walks and night markets I found peace and total relaxation here.  Diva and I were exhausted from the long days in the big cities and this was the perfect place to lay low.
We did venture out to the night market in town, there are several: one more tourist oriented; one geared toward the locals, we of course headed to where the locals go.  The Hyatt had a shuttle that would drop you off at the various markets then you could either take a taxi or tuk tuk (open air trucks/golf carts).  Many guide books steer travelers aways from tuk tuks but we had great luck with them and actually preferred them over taxis.


Sign announcing the beginning of the night market
 
 This night market was about food, especially fresh seafood, cooked right before you.  This was some of the most amazing seafood I have ever eaten.  Simple ingredients like butter and garlic were all that were used.  I dined on giant prawns, grilled calamari and shrimp and the bill for two including beers about $14 US.  Look at the spectacular color on these lobsters.  They were huge.
See how much grill space he took up.
The seafood displays invited customers to pick their dinner.  The staff would come around with metal plates and put your selection on them with a number to ready it for the grill.  The prep cook would cut it and douse the seafood in butter and garlic.  Everything was done right in front of you on the street.
The market wasn't all about food.  I was fascinated with these brooms, I wanted one but wasn't exactly sure how'd I'd get it home.  They worked wonders on all things.

 If seafood wasn't your thing, there were meats, fruits, nuts vegetables and anything with coconut.
 Then there were the ladyboys...  Thailand recognizes a third gender commonly referred to as ladyboys, You'd encountered them everywhere you went.  Ladyboys love having their photos taken.
 After a great seafood dinner there was nothing like fresh fruit.  We tried all the fruits often receiving instruction on how to eat them as many we had never seen before and they were delicious.
 These little girls set up a coloring station while mom and dad worked the fruit stall
 Outdoor bars set up on the streets were available as you waited for your seafood to cook.  It was all so laid back and enjoyable.  Everything here was clean and the seafood properly kept.  It really didn't last long on the ice beds as people were constantly picking what they wanted cooked.



 This grill actually contained our dinner cooking.  What is not to love?

Actually, I couldn't think of a better way to start off on our Southern Thailand adventure than Hua Hin.

No comments:

Post a Comment