Saturday, August 3, 2013

Trip Report: Ritz Carlton Ozone Bar

Hong Kong is know for its architecture especially when it comes to skyscrapers so it would not be a complete visit without a stop to what currently ranks as one of the highest bars in the world, it occupies the 118Th floor of the ICC (International Commerce Commission ) building completed in 2010.  Ozone as it is more appropriately known is part of the Ritz Carlton properties and the views from this bar are spectacular especially if you arrive in time to watch the lights from surrounding buildings illuminate the evening sky.
 I could not wait to take my place along glass walls to see this spectacular site.  Sadly, the same could not be said for my travel companion, Diva, she hates heights.  I had to pay my dues for this visit by spending the afternoon in some Asian garden she previously read about (Nan Lian Garden and Nunnery), I drew the line at the nunnery though.  More on that site visit another day.  Nuns and bars don't go together in life nor do they in writing.  

While the inside of the bar is spectacular in its own right the outdoor open roof terrace is the prime real-estate all vistitors are after.  It takes two escalators and two elevators to reach the bar but the verticle trip to the top is worth it.  Hong Kong's notorious pollution can factor in as to what one may see the day they visit.  Our view was pretty good but it is weird sitting above a plane flying below you.

Ozone's interior

The outdoor terrace

Note the open roof

Diva's tenseness peaked at the entrance to the second elevator.  After departing the elevator the bar is right around the corner and as we stepped of I swear I felt the building sway, but I kept that thought to myself.  We quickly made way to the bar where I knew getting some alcohol into my height terrified friend might make my visit a little smoother.  The signature drinks are expertly made, the fact that you are so high in the sky seems to make the alcohol impact your system a lot quicker (a good thing in this case).  The signature drink is the Aria 118 made from orange vodka, sake, coconut rum, passion fruit and lychee, it was divine and expensive but that was to be expected.

There is a kitchen on site offering Asian Tapas and sushi and while I only sampled the cocktails, these onion rings looked rather tempting.


Now it was time to move Diva to the outdoor terrace where the all glass walls and open ceiling awaited.  As we were shown to a prime window seat overlooking Victoria Harbour below Diva was 20 feet behind hugging interior walls and explaining her fear of heights to everyone, of course, she's doing this in english so everyone is politely nodding.  Before she makes it to the seat I quickly order another drink, she sits but is facing the interior of part of the terrace, we are seated next to a british couple no doubt on their honeymoon who are quite enamored with Diva's height issues or just hammered.  The plan was one drink at Ozone then onto the promenade to watch the nightly laser light show.  Diva would stay in the interior portion of the bar I would make my way to the terrace take in the sites and we would go.  I gotta give it to the girl she actually made it to the window seat and looked out the window! We ended up skipping the ground view light show and stayed a little over an hour at Ozone, but when I said lets go Diva was at the elevator before I could pay the bill. 

I can't in good conscious write this review without mentioning the ladies room floor to ceiling view, it was a little intimidating walking in the space that looked as though one was walking on a cloud.  Diva did use the rest room but kept her eyes closed the entire time.
View from the ladies room


If you can space 10 more seconds the video below sums it up perfectly!








No comments:

Post a Comment